Friday, March 23, 2007

a (grateful) rant

I feel so fortunate that I have the education, intelligence, and (perhaps most of all) the good luck to be able to think for myself, even in situations - such as birth - where it is actively discouraged. If I hadn't been seated next to a girl at graduation, I wouldn't have reconnected with her, and I wouldn't have found the left-of-mainstream community that has been such an eye-opener to me. If my experiences in graduate school hadn't taught me cynicism toward the scientific establishment, and if I hadn't taught several classes' worth of pre-med students, and if I hadn't landed in a hospital brimming with incompetence, I might never have abandoned my blind faith in science and technology.

This all comes up because of this study and the fact that leaving the cord unclamped until it stops pulsing is already policy at the birth center. It frustrates me that not everyone has the information or opportunity to choose (what I believe is) a higher standard of care. I can understand just going with the flow, and I can even understand choosing that alternative care (other than following precisely what the doctor tells you) is not for you; I just wish everyone had the opportunity to make an informed decision.

No comments: